Crane Rail Fixing Clips
Crane rails need to be installed to fine tolerances. Our designs of infinitely adjustable clips allow very precise alignment of rails. The clips are also designed to carry the very high forces the cranes can apply to the rails. With types that can be bolted and others that can be welded, you have the choice of most appropriate installation method for your needs.
Gantrail self locking crane rail clips are designed to align and securely fix the rail. The elastomer ‘nose’ applies a controlled force to the rail to restrain excessive movement.
- Fit the support structure
- Fit the rail
- Carry the horizontal forces from crane wheels, perpendicular to the rail
Size for size welded clips give a stronger installation but bolted clips are often more convenient.
- Find or estimate the horizontal force to be carried by the clip. It is assumed that all of the load from one wheel will occur at one clip. If the load is not known it may be assumed to be 15% of the vertical wheel load.
- Choose the style of clip you require – bolted or welded. These are identified with their respective strengths in the table below.
- Find the dimensions of the foot of the rail to be used. See Crane Rails.
- Check that the selected clip will fit the installation. The table gives the dimension that must be added to the foot width of the rail to give the minimum support width.
- Check that the other clip dimensions will suit the application by referring to the Gantrail data sheet for the clip. These only show a limited number of rail sections and Gantrail can advise on other sections.
The choice between bolted clips and those with welded lower components is often based on industry practice and preference. The bolted clips are economical but size for size they are rated significantly lower on load carrying capacity. Thus heavy duty industries such as steel and aluminium manufacture tend to use welded base 8 or 9 series clips whereas lighter applications such as industrial buildings and high bay warehouses use 3, 6 or 7 series clips that are fixed by bolting. Gantrail are always happy to give guidance on this matter.
It is assumed that grade 8.8 bolts will be used. If welded studs or grade 4.6 bolts are used then their strength is only taken as 40% of grade 8.8 bolts.